Historic, Interiors, Libraries
The Boston Psychoanalytic Society & Institute is a private professional society and institute that provides post-graduate education and programs in the study and practice of psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic psychotherapy in the community, medicine and the arts. Schwartz/Silver designed a comprehensive renovation of the former Colby Chapel on the grounds of the Newton-Andover Theological Society as the new home for BPSI’s more than 300 members and 150 faculty. The organization’s learning center features seminar and meeting rooms, a lounge/reading room with adjacent kitchen, a research library, and administrative offices.
Built in 1866, the stone masonry building has been transformed to provide a light-filled, welcoming space for events and education. The vaulted former chapel is now the library and multi-purpose room where lectures, dinners, and functions take place. Contemporary furnishings set off the restored details of the building, energizing spaces for their current use.