Education, Historic, Interiors, Sustainable Design
Brown University’s Campus Center is housed in two buildings, a 1904 structure designed by McKim Mead and White, and an addition by Howe and Church of 1930. The buildings are connected by an arch, which is one of the main pedestrian access points to the center of campus. A major renovation includes a new food venue, space for a variety of student organizations, informal gathering areas, and meeting spaces that foster interaction and collaboration. The passage of the arch itself has been opened up with glazed walls and a two level accessible entrance, bringing light and views into the center of the complex. The project has received a LEED Gold Certification.
Program: Renovation of two historic structures, including building fabric restoration, new food service and dining areas, meeting and conference rooms, offices, banquet spaces, lounges, life-safety and accessibility upgrades, new mechanical systems including HVAC, sprinkler and fire alarm.