Historic, Interiors, Libraries
A branch of the Boston Public Library, the Hyde Park Library was built in 1899 in the Classical Revival style. Schwartz/Silver’s renovation and expansion doubled the size of the facility to over 28,000 square feet. To maintain the balance and symmetry of the historic structure, the original brick fabric was extended with ‘bookend’ additions that flank it on either side, giving the original building sufficient extra mass to allow its two story portico to remain the dominant visual element of the expanded building.
2000 AIA National Honor Award
2006 William D. Smith Memorial Award of the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board
Program: Reading rooms, young adults’ room, audio/visual room, community meeting rooms, Hyde Park Historical Society, Friends of the Library, children’s library and preschool story area, group study rooms, collections areas for reference, fiction, non-fiction, children’s reading garden.