Collections, Historic, Libraries, Master Planning
The expansion of the Alida Carroll and John Marshall Brown Library, the research library of the Maine Historical Society, is the first phase of Schwartz/Silver’s master plan for the institution. The 1907 library has been restored, and linked to a future museum by a corridor under the garden. At the rear of the old building, a 1960’s addition has been removed, and a new three-story wing takes its place. The new wing houses rare books in compact storage and a temperature and humidity controlled conservation environment. Behind the glassy west façade, offices and meeting rooms overlook the restored garden.
Program: Reading rooms, open stack areas, collection storage in conservation environment, offices, meeting rooms, staff work spaces, and administrative offices.