Education, Historic, Sustainable Design
Paresky Commons is one of several monumental Colonial Revival buildings designed for Phillips Academy by the New York architect Charles Platt in the 1920’s. In its original design, students entered the building through a central lobby and proceeded directly to the four dining rooms at each end of the first and second floors. Food was sent by dumbwaiters to central serving rooms, for waiters to deliver. In the new dining system, students enter the kitchen areas, serve themselves, and then move to the dining rooms. At the basement level, the original student grille, known as the Ryley Room, has been renovated as a space for student socializing, performances and parties, with outdoor break-out space and an entrance at a new terrace along the building foundation.
2013 BSA Honor Award, Accessible Design
2011 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award
Program: Dining rooms, meeting rooms, serveries, kitchen, Ryley Room.